Monday/Tuesday (Rushed) Highlights

I’m running late, busy busy. But … a few links?

  1. OWS and lessons in free money and value of property ownership.
  2. There are them rich folk who think rules don’t apply to them. Laws of nature … still do however.
  3. The “stay in your car” survival tactic.
  4. How can “shooting monks” be a good public relations move?
  5. Much is made of the EU social networks compared to ours, yet do we note the “socially excluded” in that tally?
  6. Did you know Isaac Newton wrote more theology than science & math? I didn’t.
  7. A life lived.
  8. Logic and personhood.
  9. A beautiful photo from Afghanistan.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


  1. Did you know Isaac Newton wrote more theology than science & math? I didn’t.

    Yeah, dude was pretty nutso in addition to being a genius.

  2. Boonton says:

    8.Logic and personhood.

    Doesn’t look very logical to me. It looks like one picked the conclusion they wanted and then figured out what premises would work to get there.

    How does this square with the personhood argument you developed? You, if I recall, argued that personhood is a relationship to other people. This would seem to say conception is not personhood, unless it is so viewed by the mother and others.

  3. Boonton says:

    5.Much is made of the EU social networks compared to ours, yet do we note the “socially excluded” in that tally?

    Here’s the problem with Greece.

    When a country like Mexico or Argentina gets into a deep recession or has a debt crises, it devalues its currency, i.e. prints money to buy other countries currency. Cheaper currency means that products and services from that country cost less to foreign countries and the products of other countries cost more to that country. Workers end up working more and consuming less and if you think about that a moment, that is how you solve a debt problem.

    What happens when a US state has the same problem? Say the rest of the US is not going through the same thing. Well the state doesn’t have its own money. It can’t devalue its currency. Well wages could be lowered. But it’s not typical for wages to be cut, what usually happens rather than a 10% wage cut is you get 10% of workers laid off while the remaining 90% stay more or less at the same level of pay. This does not make adjustment easier. Just because wages fall doesn’t mean your debt falls and wages do not fall all that quickly. The market tends to keep unemployment high for extended periods of time before average wages come down, ditto for prices and other things.

    What US states do have, though, is other systems to help them cope:

    * Unemployment, welfare, foodstamps, etc. all come in from outside (i.e. the Federal gov’t)

    * To a lesser extent, a fall in cost of living can make the state more appealing to pensioners, social security collectors and others who can move in without having to worry about finding jobs. Works for states like Florida and Arizona….not always for cold Michigan.

    * The US has a very mobile workforce and it is very easy to pick up and move from state to state. A large portion of any given state’s unemployment spikes gets ‘solved’ by the unemployed leaving the state and going to other ones that are growing.

    Greece has the middle one to some extent, Europeans do like to vacation in Greece and I’m sure many entertain the notion of retiring there. It has something like that last one too, except language and cultural barriers do make it harder for a Greek to move to France than it makes for a North Carolinian to move to Texas. It lacks the first, though. The better off states of the European Union do not fund unemployment or other benefits for states that are suffering. As a result suffering states try to austerity their way out of their messes which just digs them in deeper. Every round of austerity to close, say, a 100M deficit results in a hearing a few months later another 100M deficit has just opened up as tax revenue falls as the economy shrinks.

    US states do not fall into this mess becase the larger safety net compensates for the loss of being able to print your own money. With that loss offset, states get to have their cake and eat it too. When recession hits money from Washington offsets what would have been done by the printing press. During normal times commerce is able to be much larger than it would be if people had to navigate a system of 50 different currencies floating up and down.